Welcome to the Biology Department at Cambridge House Grammar School. Students are encouraged to explore Biology through practical experiments and teaching and learning.
- M Finlay - Head of Department
- Dr Y Winder
- S Drennan
- C MacNamara
- B Breen
- O Tistanova – Technician
In Years 8 and 9 Students study General Science following the NI Science Pathways Curriculum.
In Year 10 students study Biology separately from the other sciences. This lays the foundation for their GCSE topics.
In Years 11 and 12 students study the CCEA Double Award GCSE specification.
At A Level (GCE) students are studying the New CCEA Biology specification. Examination results have been very pleasing in recent years. The students achieved A*- C - 88% in 2017. This is above the NI average for grammar schools. Studying GCE Biology gives students a greater understanding of and respect for living organisms. Students acquire and develop skills that are valued in further and higher education, as well as in the workplace. These include analysis, evaluation, problem solving, research and an ability to understand complex processes, along with practical skills such as using a microscope, fieldwork and handling apparatus. Knowledge of biological processes is useful in a wide range of areas, including health, food production, conservation and, increasingly, technology. The specification encourages students to:
- develop an interest in and enthusiasm for biology (including an interest in further study and biology-related careers);
- develop knowledge and understanding of different areas of the subject and how they relate to each other;
- take part in practical activities that support the specification content and develop essential scientific skills;
- appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues; and
- understand how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society.
CCEA Life and Health science is also offered at A level in Cambridge House Grammar school. This provides an alternative pathway into science careers for students not wishing to study the traditional science subjects. Results in 2017 were very pleasing at AS level A*- C –100%.
Careers associated with Biology
There are different branches of biology. Some of the enriching careers in the field of biology are as follows:
- Biomedical jobs
- Cell biology
- Conservation Biology
- Developmental biology
- Environmental Biology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Marine Biology
- Population biology
- Structural biology